Friday, February 26, 2010

The Cake.....

So, I've been watching a lot of Cake Boss lately.....if you haven't seen the show it's about a bakery that makes all sorts of really cool cakes. So...I figured...if they can do that...why can't I? Ava's 2nd bday is coming up and I decided that I wanted to make her a "real" cake for the party. I decided to do a practice cake so that the real one could look somewhat presentable. I decided to make everything from scratch. HAHAHA.....that was my first mistake. Yesterday I decided to start the practice runs. The actual cakes tasted AMAZING....but, they rose up ...overflowed, and then sunk....ugh...
Look at my amazing stacked cake....isn't she pretty? So, with my house filled with smoke and a charbroiled oven I was beginning to think twice about my "made from scratch" cake. But, Britney Walker is no quitter! So, I decided to go ahead and give the cake a break for a moment....to gather my composure, if you will. I made the fondant instead. It, fortunately, turned out great!Today I was still on a small high because of the fondant turning out so well. I thought....I can so do this....I can make a cake from scratch! It can't be that hard......I called in reinforcements (Talia & Turner) and decided to try again. Off to work we went being sure to follow the recipe EXACTLY as written. And what happens???? YUP! THAT'S RIGHT!!! IT FALLS AGAIN! Talia was laughing pretty hard. I didn't quite see as much humor in it as she did. Luckily, I learned my lesson from last time and didn't fill the pans as full, so there was no overflowing. However, it still sunk. Did I mention I have NEVER attempted making a home made cake before??
So, as a redhead would naturally do.....I got irritated, thought to myself "self....we are going to make this work!", and then took off to the basement. This is what I returned with.....
Talia and I decided to take a small break.....we ran to the store and got some dinner. With full stomachs and rested minds, we decided to try again. So, we made the Betty Crocker cake. I know, I know....It's no home made cake, but it is what it is. Gotta do what ya gotta do. After some trial and error.....here is what we were left with in the end. THANK YOU BETTY CROCKER!!!!! I think it's not too shabby for my 1st attempt at a "real" cake....yes fondant and all. Give me a few tries and I'll be a regular pro! ;)

No comments: