Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Reaction...

As some of you know, early Saturday morning Ava had an allergic reaction to an unknown cause. She is totally fine now, but it was really scary! Friday night she had a couple of hives (but, nothing real serious) and a low-grade fever. I gave her some motrin, and didn't really think much of it. Just figured the hives were because of the fever. We let her sleep with us... so of course we finally all got to sleep around 1:30am. At about 5:30 we wake up to her just freaking out! We couldn't get her to calm down and she was just thrashing all over the place. We figured she was probably constipated and decided to do a suppository (this used to be a common occurance). We turned on the light (really dim) and did the suppository. A couple minutes later she was still freaking out, so I decided to go get her a sippy. I got back to the room and flipped on the light all the way. I went to the bed, picked her up, and turned her around (her back was facing me) to give her the sippy and I noticed her lips were HUGE!!! We couldn't see this before because the light was so dim. At the same moment I noticed that she was COVERED in hives as well! I yelled to Rhett that we needed to get to the hospital immediately! We jumped in Rhett's company truck and away we went. When we got to the hospital they gave her some epinephrine, Benadryl, and Prednisone. Her hives went down a little bit later, but her lips stayed pretty big for most of the day. Here are some pics we took while at the hospital. Sorry they may be blurry... they were taken with Rhett's cell phone. Luckily she is way better now, but they are having us keep her on the Benadryl and Prednisone for the next few days. We have NO IDEA what caused the reaction. Hopefully we can figure it out, so we don't have to go through that again! She gave us quite a scare!

On a more exciting note..... Ava went pee on the potty for the first time today!!!! Can't wait until she's all the way potty trained!

3 comments:

The Olson Gang said...

HOLY SCHMOLY GIRL!!!! Where were we???? Why didn't you say something! THAT IS SUPER SCARY!!!
Can I bring you dinner???? SOMETHING!?!?! - I'm gonna anyway! I'll see ya soon! SHEESH!!!! You'd think we were miles away! But nope! Just in my own little world behind my 4 walls..... SHEESH!!!!!

How is mom & dad doing too???

Britney Walker said...

It all happened so sudden...I haven't seen you since it happened or else I would have said something. That's why we weren't at church on Sunday... taking care of the girl. She still wasn't feeling the best. We are all doing fine now. She has an appt to get allergy testing on Wednesday. Hopefully we can figure out what caused it.

Neisha said...

Wow that was way scarry. I am so glad she is doing better.